Monday, December 23, 2013

SF, Big Sur and SoCal

After a late start me and two other guys from PnC, Curtis and Bryan, headed south with the goal of camping in Big Sur for the night. We headed down Skyline to Alice’s and then route 9 to route 1 in Santa Cruz. After an amazing ride of little traffic and great twisties we hit Big Sur around sunset. We got some of the worst burrito’s I have ever had…referred to from then on as “Burrita” by Curtis. We strapped some beer to the back of our sherpa’s (Bryan) bike and headed on. Bryan was now carrying all of Curtis’ gear, extra gas for me and beer for everyone. 



We headed south to Nacimiento-Fergusson Rd, a narrow winding climb. At the top I went down a dirt trail to look for a camp spot and make sure the road bikes could handle the road. I found a nice camp spot where we made camp for the night. It took us a while but we realized that we had views of the ocean!



In the morning you could see we had picked quite an amazing camp spot.



There's nothing quite like pitching your tent right next to your motorcycle. It's like parking in your living room. 


I was to start out going further into the woods to start my day with some dirt before heading on south. Curtis and Bryan headed back down the 1/4 mile dirt road and on to SF. Curtis had a bit of trouble making the turn back onto the trail, I’m sure his still healing ankle didn’t help the situation.


I rode for the morning on dirt roads in Big Sur. The views were amazing the riding was easy but fun flowing dirt roads. Got a bit lost, got low on gas, thankfully I siphoned off 1/2 gallon from Bryan before I headed out. 



Sunset came while I was on the PCH just south of Malibu. I pulled off into one of the beaches down there to watch the sun go down. Finished out my ride on the PCH to Dana Point to spend the night at my uncles where my cousin Paul was also visiting.


I did a short ride down to San Diego to hang out with my friends Larry and Michael who were staying at their dad’s house for the holidays. I bought tires, got insurance, printed stuff out and got money. 



We went to a bird sanctuary, a brewery for a beer, a great dinner and then to a tango lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment